Thursday 21 May 2009

A mantra for the elderly

In order to avoid falling into the trap of thinking that,'I am being taken advantage of because I am getting older' and in so doing, think myself into the role of being a victim, I have formulated a simple solution in the form of a mantra. Now, when I think I'm being 'taken for a ride', I think the words :

'This could happen to anyone, not just to me, because they think I am old and stupid'.

I have applied it retrospectively. So to the garden patio builder, who borrowed my wheel barrow and then took it away with him in his van when he left, I said : 'This could have happened to anyone, not just me because he thought I was old and stupid.'

To the 'Drain Doctor' who spent 2 hours unblocking a drain on a job which could have taken 30 minutes, I said : 'This could have happened to anyone, not just me because he thought I was old and stupid.'

And last, but not least I said it to the 'rogue trader' who levered up the ridge tiles on my roof.

I have the feeling that I shall be saying my mantra on a number of occasions in future, but there again if it is true, there is some solace in thinking that, in some respects : 'Britain is no country, not just for old men, but for anyone'.

No comments:

Post a Comment