Wednesday 19 August 2009

Britain - a place for old, daytime drivers

One of the questions I asked myself before I went to Germany was:

' Are most convertibles in Germany driven by old men ?'

The answer I've come up with is 'No'.
The 20 - 30 convertibles I saw, were mostly driven by 30'ish men and young women.

The other thing I observed was the quality of driving in Bavaria.

Our nephew took us to Munich Airport at 140 k.m.p.h. and I felt 'safe'. There was excellent lane discipline on the motorway - no dawdling and you got out of the way if a car at 160 k.m.p.h. was coming up behind you.

On my first day driving back in Britain :

1. An elderly person pulled out in front of me on a roundabout. I did something I rarely do - I hooted.

2. We drove behind a car doing 20 m.p.h in a 30 zone. The driver, another elderly person, suddenly signalled left, to go into her drive.

3. On another road, a jeep with trailor attached, pulled out in front of the car in front of me , causing both of us to brake.

CONCLUSION :

Britain is a place for old drivers in the daytime - but a dangerous one.

No comments:

Post a Comment