Saturday 1 May 2010

Britain's old men - take a lead from Sigourney Weaver who says : " I like getting old - it's interesting "

The American actress, Sigourney Weaver is 60 years old. She is best known for her role as Ellen Ripley in Ridley Scott's 1979 film, 'Alien' and the 3 spin offs which followed.

She came to my attention because she is quoted in the 'Guardian' newspaper, in an article called 'My Family Values', as saying, and this must be unique :

'I like getting older – it's interesting. I don't think it's attractive to have a taut face with a 65-year-old's body. I find that look scary. My mother was a great beauty and she never succumbed to plastic surgery. She thought it was best to grow old gracefully. I feel the same. We change ourselves by looking back and trying to stay young instead of moving forward'.

This bears investigation, after all, Sigourney is half British.

So, do people like getting older ?

Is getting older interesting ?

I'll keep an open mind. I'll turn over a few stones and see if I can get, either confirmation or disconfirmation of her supposition.

Meanwhile, Lennon and McCartney from 'Yellow Submarine' and 'When I'm 64'.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4774448731736627361&ei=LRrdS9HqGtvm-AaEron9Cw&q=when+im+64&hl=en#

When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine,
Birthday greetings bottle of wine?

If I'd been out till quarter to three,
Would you lock the door ?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oooo
You'll be older too, (ah ah ah ah ah)
And if you say the word,
I could stay with you.

I could be handy mending a fuse,
When your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside,
Sunday mornings go for a ride.

Doing the garden, digging the weeds,
Who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear.
We shall scrimp and save.
Grandchildren on your knee,
Vera, Chuck, and Dave.

Send me a postcard, drop me a line,
Stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say,
Yours sincerely, Wasting Away.

Give me your answer, fill in a form,
Mine for evermore.
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

1 comment:

  1. John, getting old can be interesting if one sets oneself new goals(targets?... bollocks that word but you know what I mean, I hope) As a retired Headteacher said to me last week, there is a life out there so go and grab it. Do lots of new things, challenge oneself and never surrender to the passing of the days.

    In the 'Times'the other day there was a report about a 90 year old lady who had, at 87 taken up golf! And at 90 scored a hole in 1! Hard enough for most of us who enjoy the game but she did it. There are so many examples of people who just get on with it and partake of life that easily defeats those you quote!

    ReplyDelete